In dharma it is essential to keep a record of Buddhist teachings we have received. Only by doing this will we know what teachings we are able to study and practise.
In order to study a dharma text or practise a particular meditation, we need to have received the reading transmission (Tibetan: lung) for that teaching from a qualified teacher. Without this, the teaching carries no blessing from the lineage of transmission and we are not properly ‘authorised’ to study or practise it.
Keeping the record straight
In general, for Vajrayana meditation practices we need to receive the relevant initiation as well as the reading transmission: e.g. in Harrogate in May 2015 Lama Jampa Thaye gave the Initiation of Chenrezik from the Sky Dharma Lineage & the reading transmission for the Chenrezik Practice of Thangtong Gyalpo. It is important to record the full details as there are different initiations and practices of Chenrezik.
Record of Buddhist teachings, initiations and lungs
- Teachings and initiations – 2022
- Teachings, initiations and lungs – 2020 and 2021
- Teachings, initiations and lungs – 2019
- Teachings, initiations and lungs – 2018
- Teachings, initiations and lungs – 2017
- Teachings and initiations – 2015 and 2016
- Provisional list of teachings and initiations 2012 -2014
- Provisional list of teachings and initiations 2008 – 2011